Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Year Later

Duran checks the door for any traps.
There don't seem to be any.
Then he flings the door open and chases after the man in spiky red armor.
Alright roll a acrobatics check because there's an explosion. Actually everyone to this square here *points to grid on the white board where my character is standing* roll acrobatics checks.

Here is where it all boils down to whether or not your character is going to have a bad day. You beg the little 20 sided die in your hand to roll something better than the last couple of 5's you'd rolled earlier in the game. And it listens to you, giving you a whopping 6.
Now comes the math and the understanding of where to look for what on your character sheet. Finding my way around the character sheet was easy enough, it was the math that was killing me.
So I add the 3 from my little bit of acrobatics and come out with a 9. Not quite enough to doge the large bit of door frame Duran had esploded.

Your character takes *the DM rolls his dice and nods in a self satisfactory way with a slight 'hm'* 5 damage and is dazed.
Putting myself into my character's shoes is easy, figuring out what she would do in the situation is hard. Going with my gut instinct I just listen to the shouting as the other characters gang up on the poor soul, who had also had a bad roll of the die but couldn't break the 4th wall in time to ask for a redo.

When it comes to be my next turn I do my bit then the DM says: "Okay did you save?"
Did I save what?! I didn't know D&D had save points! What do they look like? Does the DM draw them on the map?!
Nope, wrong. You roll your dice to see if your character snaps out of the bleary fuzz induced by the chunk of wood that slammed into her skull.
Ooooh. *rolls the evil inanimate object* get's a 10. Yay! I saved!

Alright you all look up to see a man standing on a platform, kind of like a balcony but less ornate, he's in a bluish cloak, you can't make out more than the basic shape of his long face. Does anyone speak primordial?
I raise my hand.
The DM raises a curious eyebrow. A halfelf that speaks primordial?! (Yeah it was either that or draconic, I flipped a coin) With a shrug he points to me and says: "You hear him calling on the forces of nature to kill the intruders."
Oh lovely. Having my character inform the party that bad things are about to happen I pull out my calculator. Not really, I never had the foresight to bring a calculator. After carefully choosing my attack and getting into the best position I could with the 6 spaces I could move I roll the 20 sided ball of evil to hit the baddie. Hit! Okay so I roll the 8 sided dice for my first weapon, the 6 sided dice for my second weapon, another 6 sided dice for the mark I put on him, plus my strength which is 4, plus 1 for each weapon and my bracers. *BIG SIGH*
That comes out tooooooooo.... 17?
My husband leans over my shoulder: "21" Oh, 21!
Confused?

I was.
It's kind of like learning how to ride a bike. Now that I have the hang of it I understand most of the language and what to look for it's really fun and I can go a lot faster.
Sometimes I still have a faux pas or two when looking up an item or armor or feat (because there are 20gazillion feats that sound like they do the same thing but DON'T). But hey, the perks have so far outweighed the draw backs.
I like to play around in the world my friend has made with a character in better shape than I have been since I was 13. There I get to fling around a sword and kill stuff without getting arrested for disturbing the peace, and man slaughter. Deep down though I feel like I'm building a story with the people around the table. Each of us adding our own unique flavor to the plot and dialog. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment