Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Chapter One: Enter the Noob

Hey, my name is Rem and I'm new to the world of Table Top Games and gamer society in general.
And this is my story.

It all started early 2010, I'd just married my bestest friend and one true love Jex, met my in-laws for the second time ever, and was introduced to my man's highschool posse. The week before the fated night, whose date I can nerry remember, I'd sat down and tried my best to learn all the lingo required for character creation. Prior to this sit down with Adam (our DM) the only knowledge I had was my floundering through the D&D 3.5 players hand book. From that little jaunt all I remembered was there were too many numbers and "why on earth would anyone EVER consider making a wizard?!" Now I was knee deep in D8's versus 2 D4's and why which would be good in which instance, feats (ZOMBWTFM8!!!!), Nat 20's, initiative, who has higher Dex goes first, AC; I thought my little brain was going to pop and spew little 'OMG' shaped confetties. In the end I had a boss killer named Ko'ee that I was very proud of.

On that fateful night as I met the stragglers of the posse and a couple new faces something horrific happened: My character wasn't on Adam's laptop. In a fit of rage, confusion, and sheer panic I tried, with the help of my sweet Jex, to recreate my character in right around half an hour. Everyone assured me that I had time since everyone was printing out character sheets. I thought otherwise: How on earth can I recreate 6 hours of stuff I can barely remember?!
At long last I had a new character. A half elf like my first; a dual wielder, but a Ranger instead of a Fighter. Hoping against hope that I could some how get Ko'ee back I picked a random name and just kind of threw her together off the top of my head. Thus Cynica Trissade was born. Honestly I didn't think she'd turn out as well as she has, she's a little too much like me at times but hey you go with what you know when you have to come up with something on the fly.

Once the game started I was enchanted. I've always been one for playing pretend and swinging sticks at big imagined bad guys and monsters. Dungeons and Dragons for me was a way to continue doing that into adulthood. Imagining my character twirling around with her swords and interacting with the other characters brought back the adventuresome feeling I'd been missing since returning to America; where everything is either dull or expensive. Granted I was the slowest one there, I had to keep reading over my power cards and math is not my strong suit (I'm a language and art kind of girl, and yes I am aware that art is math based and no that doesn't help anything). I was pretty unsure of myself when it came to how to role play and how much to describe one's character's actions in game. There were some points where I felt like I was flopping around like an ungainly teenager who just hit a growth spurt the night before.

I'd overlooked the importance of Dex when it came to one's Armor Class, so my striker had a whopping 12 AC. Yeah. Me in all my newness couldn't figure out why the Warlock had a higher AC than my character. "I mean what the heck man, aren't Rangers supposed to be used to this kind of thing." Then came the epiphany that it wasn't your class that determined your AC it was your Dex and the other one paired with Dex (see, still a noob even after nearly a year). Luckily I have an awesome DM who let me go back and tweak Cynica till she worked better. Also luckily my first D&D campaign is 4th edition. If I'd tried to play that night with the 3.5 character creation method I would not be here and loving Table Top RPG's as I now do. 4th edition is really noob friendly and for that I will be forever grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Very true, it is a lot simpler. What I love about table-top rpgs is the magic. I'm an escapist in that way, and for me DnD is like reading a good fantasy novel that you can project yourself into.

    Awaiting episode 2!

    -Mab

    ReplyDelete